Statement: To define STEM and the STEM
disciplines in a fashion that will serve as a model for New York State
and throughout the nation.
AMTNYS, ASEE, NYSSPE, NYSTEEA and STANYS will work collectively
and collaboratively to deliver STEM Education in the spirit and vision
of the NYS MST Frameworks and Learning
Standards. We must take this approach to skillfully and completely
address the concerted state and national cry for STEM Literacy.
Our Overarching Goals
- To transform the NYS MST Learning Standards into
an effective and meaningful STEM Education Learning Standards delivery.
- To explore the possibility of holding a mutually supported
STEM Education Collaborative Conference or Symposium by 2010 that will
encourage and facilitate the sharing of successful and innovative classroom
STEM practices by presenters representing AMTNYS, ASEE, NYSSPE, NYSTEA
- To carry forward our NYS STEM Education Collaborative
foundational work with enlightening debate and constructive discussions
through various means of communication and a (yet to be determined)
- To work together to ensure that accepted research
and practice based STEM principles are applied in the development of
revised or new MST Standards.
- To mutually support, connect and strengthen science,
technology, engineering and math P-16 instruction. All three disciplines
would still maintain their separate learning standards, integrity, scope
and depth but would be delivered within a cross connected methodology.
- To influence support funding, school policy, teacher
training and preparation methods, with our mutually envisioned STEM
- To foster the modification of existing assessments,
with changes in written language and references, to bring about STEM
connections, without changing the primary purpose and thrust of each.